Though many of you will have shared our daydream of strolling through the streets of Croatia and opening a long-overdue bottle of wine with missed colleagues, you may be aware that the PReS 2021 e-Congress has - in the context of an uncertain and unpredictable world - been shifted to a fully virtual congress.
Whilst the Scientific Program will be as rigorous as ever, we couldn’t let another year pass without injecting a bit of cheer and reminding ourselves of what a special community we have here.
In the tea-break intervals between sessions, we are looking to bring some colour and music into your offices and homes by showing short (5 mins) video performances of talented folk from within the Paed Rheum community - healthcare workers and patients alike.
You are welcome to self-nominate or help us sleuth out hidden talent amongst brilliant but shy colleagues or patients. All talents are welcome: music, fine arts (as a slideshow), magic, feats of strength, performative cooking, fire-breathing… Injecting a bit of local flavour would be an added bonus.
We’d particularly welcome group efforts, so if your department has more than one hidden talent, now’s your chance to bring them together for a heartfelt rendition of Jumping JAK Flash. Or Bad to the Bone… You get the drift.
To help get you inspired here is the ever magnificent, indefatigable Chris Scott channelling Elvis, accompanied by his son Kai.
How to participate:
- Email us at PRES.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include name, city and a very brief outline of the talent of the nominee (eg plays classical guitar; sings; visual artist; fire-swallows; whatever…)
- If you are nominating someone else, please check with them in advance and be sure to include them as a cc in your email
- We will be in touch with the nominee to get them to self-record and submit a 5-minute video (submissions due 15th August)
- In the event that we are swamped by nominations(!), we will favour group efforts, then pull names out of a hat
Nominations close 30th June.
For successful nominees, 5-minute videos will need to be submitted by 15th August.
Please note: performances and recordings absolutely do NOT need to be of a professional standard. This is all about sparking a little joy, or humour, in these strange and sad and socially distanced times.
Bec James (Australia) and Chris Scott (South Africa)
On behalf of the PReS 2021 Scientific Committee
Early bird registration fee deadline for congress registration is 16th June.
Dates of congress: 19-21 September 2021.